North / South America
MSHA fatality - cement operation
Jun, 08 2012
Metal/nonmetal mine fatality
(New York) -- On May 28, 2012, a 51-year old shift operator with 13 years of experience was killed at a cement operation. The victim was found near the plant's crane bay building after being struck by a front-end loader. He was walking from the lunchroom toward the locker area.
- Train all persons to stay clear of mobile equipment.
- Be aware of the location and traffic patterns of mobile equipment in your work area.
- Wear high visibility clothing when working around mobile equipment.
- Before moving mobile equipment, look in the direction of travel and use all mirrors and cameras to ensure no persons are in the intended path.
- Sound the horn to warn persons of intended movement and give them time to move to a safe location.
- Operate the mobile equipment at reduced speeds in work areas.
- Ensure that backup alarms and lights on mobile equipment are maintained and operational.
- Post signs to warn persons in areas where mobile equipment travel.
Birla Corp. Ltd plans to spend Rs.2,200 Crore to add capacity, forecasting that cement demand will revive. More
New kiln line operational at Hunter cement plant.