On September 16, 2013, a 58-year old truck driver with 25 years of experience was killed at a crushed stone operation. The victim was driving a loaded haul truck out of a quarry when the truck traveled through a berm and over an 80-foot highwall. The victim was ejected from the truck.
- Provide and maintain adequate berms or guardrails on the banks of roadways where a drop-off exists.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks prior to operating mobile equipment.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating self-propelled mobile equipment.
- Maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Operate mobile equipment at speeds consistent with the conditions of roadways, tracks, grades, clearance, visibility, curves, and traffic.
- Do not exit or jump from moving mobile equipment.