Forum Message

Name: JAMES  BOWDEN
Heading: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1RE:flyash effect on air content
is there anyone in the world with a solution to the adverse effects flyash has on stable air content i am in the paving business and have lots of problems recently with this matter i have heard there are new regulations imposed on power relating to how they burn the coal and this is causing a higher loss of ignition is this only a problem in texas or is it the country as a whole any solutions to this problem would be greatly apreaciated

Mike Black

---------------------------------------------
Michael Black

I have heard that the air loss is due to the carbon content in the flyash. The higher the carbon the greater consumption of air.
Phil Gillis

The carbon consumes the air-entraining agent, not the air after generation. So the more carbon, the more AEA is needed. If the carbon content varies from delivery to delivery, AEA dose must be varied in compensation.
Ken Day

Carbon in ash below 3% is preferred. However once the carbon goes above 3%, the quantity of carbon is not as significant as consistency. Concrete supplier can adjust the air to compensate for the carbon. Low NOx technology at power plants often produce ash that varies serval percent and this make it difficult for concrete supplier to produce a quality product.
Russell Ridgeway

ok ya'all i think i do understand the trouble what i am seeking is someone who has devised a method of dealing with the jumps in air dosage requirements to maintain a steady air content is there anyone like that out there?

Mike Black
Michael Black

Mike,
We have run into this problem several times across the country in structural concrete production. We used a foam index test performed with a sample of the incoming ash, sample of cement being used, solution of AEA agent and water, and a glass bottle. It is useful for generalities, but it is hard to predict when each load is coming through your silo. Maybe blending materials through Guppies would help. The consistency of the ash is the biggest solution. If you want more detail, email or call me.

Dean Van Loon
Champion, Inc.
906-779-2300
dvanloon@championinc.com
Dean Van Loon

OK I have to ask! "Maybe blending materials through Guppies would help." Please explain Guppies.
JAMES BOWDEN

Click Here to Reply    Areas
Advertise Here