Forum Message

Name: Jay  Lukkarila
Heading: 1.1.3RE:New Instrument for Measuring Man Sand
Malvern Instruments has recently built a particle analyzer that measures 15 characteristics of every particle that is dispersed on a 3" x 3" glass plate. The instrument has been principally used by pharmaceutical companies to measure particle shape of powders and a cement association in France has recently bought the instrument. We were not sure if the instrument could handle sand size particles and ran an experiment with the machine last week. The instrument measured 15,000 particles taken from a cut at 50 mesh x 100 mesh of a manufactured sand sample and created a mountain of data. The instrument even measured the dust that fell off the sand particles.

We are going to measure two samples of manufactured sand, both crushed from the same granite source. The first sample was crushed with a typical crusher (poor shape). The second sample was crushed from a VSI, typically producing an optimum shape. We are interested in understanding what differences the instrument will measure. Anyone interested in attending the grand experiment scheduled for late March, please contact me. Malvern's U.S. headquarters in which this testing will take place is located in Southborough, Massachusetts. If this experiment is successful, I hope to interest other agencies or companies in a research program defining the characteristic's of a "good" manufactured sand for concrete and asphalt. I hope to be able to put together a program which defines which manufactured sands work, which ones don't, and why.

Jay Lukkarila
Mining Engineer

On an never ending quest for performance aggregates to improve the quality of construction at a lower cost.

ICRUSHROCK@aol.com

---------------------------------------------
Jay Lukkarila

Jay,
If the date is not conflicting with ACI, I would be interested in being there.
Jon
Jonathan Dongell

Jonathan,

We apologize for not being able to come up with a date that does not conflict with the ACI. The test will be done Wednesday, March 29, 2006, at 10:00 AM.

Jay Lukkarila
Jay Lukkarila

Click Here to Reply    Areas
Advertise Here