Forum Message

Name: Chapin  Sipherd
Heading: 1.1.1.2.1RE:Density of fly ash
I am just checking the density of fly ash so I can transport it in a pneumatic tanker over the highway. How many pounds of dry fly ash powder would there be in a cubic foot?

Bob Mackintosh

---------------------------------------------
Bob Mackintosh

Fly ash is not as uniform a product as cement. We use an avereage value of 40#/CF for the silos we build.
Chapin
Chapin Sipherd

The density will vary, so I''d contact a supplier or user in your area.
The Type F fly ash that we use in Arizona usually has a density of about 135lb/cu ft. Give or take.
Christina Barnes

Depending on its specific gravity I would assume about 146 lb per cuft. Assuming a specific gravity of 2.30

Dan Larsen
Dan Larsen

135lb/cu ft for fly ash is solid volume. You would use that value if you were designing a concrete mix. Hauling dry fly ash you have to take into account all of the voids between flyash particles. Typically I have seen 40 - 60 lb/ cu ft. I have never seen anyone go above 60lb/cu ft for dry fly ash calculations, but, there could always be the exception. I agree with Christina that you should call the fly ash company in your area.
Have them dust off their unit weight bucket and actually measure it.
Jeremy Betts

Appreciate all the input here, I should have mentioned that it is Type C fly ash that I would be handling. If anyone can re-confirm the density for Type C fly ash that would be great. The thing I have to be careful with is the capacity & axle weights of the pnuematic tanker so I can get a 75,000 lb payload, and haul it legally.

Bob Mackintosh.
Bob Mackintosh

Thanks for all of the responses,much appreciated. I will use a round figure of 50 lbs a cubic foot (approx) for type C flyash powder, my tankers are 1650 cubic feet capacity.

Bob Mackintosh
Bob Mackintosh

Bob,
Are the tankers to be toploaded by gravity or pnumatically loaded? Makes a difference.
Pnumatic loading aerates the product, reducing the weight per cu. ft. It is not as
dramatic as cement but still quite a change in the weight/volume ratio. You need to do some test load weights before you go on the highway.
Chapin Sipherd
Chapin Sipherd

Click Here to Reply    Areas
Advertise Here