Develop and implement a strategy for the most efficient procurement and consumption of electricity ($60 million annually) at our 300+ U.S. sites in 28 states. Sites include quarries, asphalt plants, ready mix plants, distribution yards, and chemical plants. The position reports to the Director of Procurement and is located in the Corporate Headquarters, Raleigh, NC. By site, document for baseline purposes the current electricity contracts, rates, usage and external consultant relationships; identify all significant electricity consuming activities. Negotiate or renegotiate electrical power contracts to optimize savings. Leverage suppliers by consumption and/or location where applicable. Establish electrical energy savings targets and track results. Monitor, review and direct participation in Federal, State, local and utility electrical energy conservation initiatives, programs, incentives and rebates. Manage and analyze electrical utility billing data for consumption, price, negative variances, errors and potential savings. Periodically report summarized results. Coordinate all electrical energy management activities with the appropriate field production management and the Corporate Electrical Engineering Department. Schedule site training/group meeting presentations to promote electrical energy efficiency. Design, perform and participate in electrical energy audits.
Identify and develop electrical energy conservation measures, initiatives and best practices. Provide calculations of expected electrical energy savings, implementation costs and paybacks to production management for capital expenditure planning. Support the Corporate Electrical Engineering Department during expansions/improvements of existing plants and new plant construction through electrical utility contract negotiations and equipment recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience required
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Procurement (CEP) and/or PE License desired
- 10-15 years of experience with electric utilities, electricity markets (regulated and deregulated), marketers, utility rate structures and electricity management technologies
- Solid project management skills; experience developing and implementing electrical energy management programs and projects for industrial and manufacturing facilities
- Understand electrical utility infrastructure, physical delivery and Regional Transmission Organizations; experience with interruptible electrical service offerings
- Negotiations and contract management excellence for new and existing site electrical utility service; track record of significant cost savings from electricity optimization
- Ability to communicate and work with people at all levels and to establish mutually beneficial agreements
- Know and support MSHA electrical regulations compliance through equipment and policy recommendations
- Ability to travel up to 50% inside the United States