This position is accountable for the safe and efficient operations of stripping, extraction and primary crushing. Additionally accountable for advance planning and budgeting annually for area of responsibilities, production to be compatible with annual sales projection.
1. Daily communication with Supervisor, Production as it relates to his production requirements, scheduling, downtime, etc., in order to operate the quarry in the most effective and productive manner.
2. Supervise, guide, direct, evaluate and train assigned personnel.
3. Maintain five-year quarrying plan, upgrading annually.
4. Stripping and extraction monthly to correspond with quarry plan.
5. Submit to Plant Superintendent by the end of each month quarrying plan development status report for previous month.
6. Monitor daily production, shot layout and patterns, drilling operations, blasting operations, safety, staffing, labor relations, and primary crushing.
7. Monitor blasting when in loading process through detonation to ascertain safe practices are being employed.
8. Maintain accurate explosives inventory and records when required.
9. Keep all benches and all elevated roadways properly bermed to prevent any vehicle or person from running off the benches or roads.
10. Maintain all haul roads and travel ways, keeping them well graded to expedite the safest and most expedient traffic flow.
11. Maintain quarry floor and all benches with a one percent (1%) grade, draining toward the waterhole or water pumping station.
12. Maintain quarry water pumping station system from the quarry to its discharge points.
13. Maintain an ecological balance with surrounding environment.
14. Insure that preventive maintenance is performed on all assigned equipment as prescribed.
15. Responsible for seeing that the surge pile vault and the equipment therein is inspected and maintained daily.
16. Design and maintain blasting and extraction operations so as to minimize moving the loading equipment from area to area frequently.
17. Observe and train equipment operators in sound, efficient operating habits in order to obtain and maintain the best loading and hauling cycle time.
18. Maintain adequate inventory of sized rip rap, based on sales forecast by size, by month.
19. Maintain areas of responsibility in a neat and orderly fashion, displaying good housekeeping practices.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
Primary focus of the position is to supervise and train employees to develop safe work habits and practices in their quest for achieving production quotas and attaining their assigned improvement objectives, such as improved cycle times and equipment utilization.
Education and Work Experience:
Requires a minimum college education, preferably mining engineering, with a minimum of three to five years related experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
Position requires a comprehensive knowledge of quarry blasting and stripping operations, primary crushing operations, a general knowledge of supervisory principles and practices, and Company, State and Federal safety programs. Position is both managerial and technical, allowing latitude to cope with most operating/blasting problems, conferring with supervisor on unusual problems, and requiring excellent human relations skills when dealing with employees and neighbors.