Based in the city of Edmonton, the HR Manager functions as a strategic business partner, providing HR support to our operations throughout the Greater Edmonton Area. The incumbent is responsible for the talent management activities and initiatives within the business. Additionally, the incumbent is accountable for providing timely, concise information, guidance and coaching to managers aligned with HR policies, procedures, processes and mobilization efforts.
1. Health, Safety & Environment
• Understands the safety objectives of the organization and supports these efforts in a visible manner.
• Working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
• Active participation and support of business Environmental, Health and Safety committees or improvement teams.
2. Talent Management
• Works with managers to identify organizational issues that impact the attainment of business objectives.
• Works with management teams to manage talent and create robust succession pools at all levels of the organization.
• Identifies key talent and ensures strong development and career planning and ensures implementation of plans.
• Engages managers in actively managing and developing future talent.
• Manages the Organization and Human Resources review process for area.
3. Recruitment & Staffing
• Leads recruiting and staffing activities for responsible area including campus recruitment activities
• Responsible for salary recruiting processes. Participates in resume screening, interviews, and candidate selection.
• Prepares offer letters, oversees other new hire administrative processes, and employee onboarding and training.
• Leads efforts to improve diversity in the workplace.
4. Performance Management
• Responsible for coordinating Performance Management activities such as Individual Development Plants, Performance Appraisals, Mid-Year Reviews, and Career Interviews.
• Works with management in addressing performance issues and provides consultative support as required.
5. Training & Development
• Based on the business’ needs, identifies training and development opportunities, resources, programs, and tools to support employee populations.
• Responsible for training delivery, coordination/logistics, communication, and measurement of training effectiveness
6. Employee Relations
• Acts as primary contact for day-to-day HR employee issues including: advising management on ER/IR issues, overseeing investigations, interpreting policies, providing oversight on disciplinary letters/action, and counseling employees. Ensures consistency in practices within the Country. Ensures compliance with various regulatory and legislative requirements, and trains managers in the same.
• Works with the business and appropriate company resources to resolve any litigation or legal issues.
• Supports implementation of corporate Human Resources programs and policies for the business.
7. Compensation & Benefits
• Responsible for coordinating Compensation and Benefits activities such as Bonus, Merit Increases, Special Pays, Tuition Reimbursement, Compensation Analysis, and Hay Grading.
• Understands local market conditions to ensure fair and equitable pay practices and ensures to see that the organization’s pay scale complies with changing laws and regulations.
8. Project Management & Team Objectives
• Works collaboratively across the Country and with HR team
• Uses a professional project management approach to complete assigned projects, including: establishing the project parameters, deadlines, budget, and methodologies.
9. Analytics & Process Improvements
• Provides key analytics on area of responsibility to support business objectives and HR dashboard.
• Continuously looks for ways to streamline and improves HR processes, not only in the area, but across the Country.
• Works with the HR Shared Services group to identify and implement processes necessary to eliminate duplication of work and reduce overall administrative burden.
• Leverages research and networking capabilities to identify best practices to implement within business.
• Bachelor degree in HR/OD or related field; graduate level degree preferred.
• 5-7 years of progressive HR generalist experience. Must have demonstrated leadership experience, as well as exposure to OD/OE. Incumbent could have a combination of HR / Operational background.
• HR Certification preferred.