The Environmental Manager’s primary objective is the optimization and implementation of environment-related processes, KPIs and compliance assurance programs in the entire respective area. Ensure the implementation and ongoing improvement of environmental policies in the area, consistent with Lafarge priorities and policies as well as compliance to relevant regulation. Also provides key activity in community and government relations for core assets in assigned area.
· Advise operations on regulatory requirements and provide technical support as needed.
· Keeps familiar and current with the status of assigned sites anticipating and resolving potential or actual compliance issues.
· Serve as a safety role model.
· Implement standard environmental programs at the local level.
· Provide day-to-day presence in the field and understand local issues.
· Deliver environmental training programs for operations, as required and ensure adequate records are maintained.
· Audit processes to review all site requirements and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations, and Lafarge policies and procedures. Document and distribute reports.
· Manage local permit requirements (sampling, reporting, and renewals).
· Represent Lafarge at community meetings and local trade associations.
· Develop and maintain stakeholder relationships.
· Prepare environmental documentation for approval and license/permit applications for new or existing operations ensuring they are completed accurately, completely and on time.
· Manage compliance for all area plant and operations with site specific compliance issues such as air permits, renewals, extensions, compliance demonstration and CDs.
· Maintain all required reports e.g. monthly water reports and ensure necessary data is gathered in a timely and effective manner by operations.
· Complete surveying, storm water inspections, drilling, and other related field work in assigned area.
· Develop, maintain and advocate the implementation of the Environmental Management System (EMS) and related activities.
· Actively participate on various industry environment-related organizations and liaises with other organizations’ Environment & Public Affairs Managers to keep abreast of industry standards and developing issues.
· Assist operations in identifying and managing capital projects for site environmental upgrades.
· Keep current with all Federal, State and Local environmental legal requirements and monitor developments and changes.
Educational Background: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related technical discipline.
Experience: 5-7 years experience in increasing responsibility in environmental compliance. Strong regulatory knowledge. Must be able to work as part of a team to ensure continuous improvement in functional area as well as the overall operations. Demonstrated leadership skills via personal standards of conduct, work ethics, ability to delegate, etc. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must demonstrate ability to multi-task and manage conflicting priorities. EMS development and implementation. Strong problem solving skills, interpreting rules, laws, agreements, etc. Demonstrate computer proficiency.