Salaried Position Description
Position: Terminals Manager – BC and Alaska Hay Grade: 13
Region: Western Department: Distribution
Location: Richmond, British Columbia Date: March, 2012
The position’s prime objective is to manage all phases of terminal operations for BC and Alaska within the Coastal Terminal Group. Manager will oversee facility optimization while maintaining the high standards of safety, quality and customer service at each facility and operating within environmental regulations consistent with the business strategy and objectives of the Western Business Unit (WBU).
The Terminal Manager reports to the Coastal Operations Manager within the WBU Distribution Organization.
The Terminal Manager will oversee current terminals operated by third parties in Victoria, BC, Castlegar, BC, and Kelowna, BC. The manager will have responsibilities for transload operations and terminal development opportunities in NW British Columbia and Alaska. The Manager will also have budgetary responsibility for the fly ash terminal located at the Richmond Plant and operated by plant personnel. The Manager will have no direct reports at this time.
Nature and Scope
The primary focus of the Terminal Manager is to safely and efficiently manage the current assets of the assigned area as well as terminal related development projects.
The incumbent will manage the development and implementation of activities related to functional and safety training throughout these facilities as well as training related to terminal specific operations, policies and procedures.
The incumbent will act as the single point of accountability for the terminal locations including the management of inventory, assets, and safety programs and the development, coaching and training of employees and/or contractors.
The manager will ensure that facilities are compliant with all environmental and safety requirements through on-site leadership related to conducting training and completing all required documentation of training events.
The manager will develop and manage terminal budgets as well as the initiation of capital appropriation requests for improvements or modifications to the terminals that ensure economic viability for the operations and distribution of product.
1. Facilitate the implementation all required safety training and reviewing current safety manuals updating them for changes in scope or regulations.
2. An effective inventory management strategy utilizing communication of potential issues to manufacturing, sales and distribution to reduce the risk of customer service issues.
3. To operate all terminals in a safe and efficient manner, administer all Provincial and State related Occupational Health and Safety programs and ensure that all Company Safety Standards are met.
4. To attain optimum quantity and quality of production by utilizing manpower and equipment efficiently and safely.
5. Updating standard operating procedures for process modifications and/or equipment additions.
6. Manage the terminals to operate within the approved annual budget.
7. Provide long term vision to ensure the terminals are positioned to meet long-term marketing and customer needs.
8. Work along with Federal, State, Provincial and Municipal representatives to ensure the terminal is operating in accordance with all laws.
9. Ensure compliance with Federal, Provincial and local environmental regulations and maintain a good corporate image in the community.
10. Prepare and submit Terminal reports, capital expenditures and operating budgets to the Coastal Operations Manager.
11. Management and implementation of a preventative maintenance program for the terminals.
12. Working with other Terminals within the Western BU to optimize the delivery and customer service levels associated with all products.
13. Co-ordinate work for all capital projects.
14. Where possible, work closely with other Lafarge Divisions such as the Aggregates and Concrete Division to create synergies in current operations and development projects.
15. Provide bulk handling assistance to current and potential Lafarge customers when requested by the sales and marketing group.
• Bachelors Degree or applicable related work experience in a cement distribution facility along with a technical college degree and a willingness to pursue a Bachelors Degree.
• A strong working knowledge of a cement distribution facility as well as familiarity with cement discharge / shipping / distribution functions of a marine terminal.
• Strong written verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrates effective problem solving skills.
• Strong leadership skills and an ability to work within a matrix organization and a tight network of peers.
• Demonstrates ability to coach and develop direct reports.
• A demonstrated commitment to safety in the workplace.
Lafarge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We embrace diversity in our people, products and ideas.
Lafarge adhère au principe de l'équité en matière d'emploi et nous souscrivons à la diversité de notre personnel, de nos produits et de nos idées.
Posting Date: April 11th, 2012
For open positions grade 13-17: First consideration will be given to applicants who live in the country where the job is located, and who have the legal eligibility to work in that country. However, any applicants who feel they closely meet the job requirements are urged to submit an application so that their geographic situation and legal eligibility can be taken into consideration. (During the integration period, see your HR Manager / HR Representative for further details)<>