Reporting to the Geographic Health and Safety Manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing support, training and facilitation to all employees within the Geography with the goal of minimizing health and safety risk. The incumbent promotes a proactive approach to health and safety throughout the organization.
· Provide direct support to the Management team
· Develop, coordinate and conduct effective H & S training programs
· Assist in conducting needs analysis, development, delivery of safety education topics and risk assessment
· Ensure compliance to laws and regulations at Federal, Provincial and Municipal as well as Corporate levels
· Assist management with reviewing safety objectives, identifying improvement areas and developing action plans
· Collection, analysis and distribution of safety and training KPI information
· Development of custom reporting to present statistical information in a meaningful format
· Management of records and documentation related to health & safety
· Attend health and safety meetings and serve as a principal source of information on health and safety issues
· Coach and assist appropriate supervisors and managers or incident investigations
· Plan, organize, schedule and conduct inspections of facilities, work areas and equipment.
· Monitor conditions, practices and procedures for compliance with Lafarge Health & Safety Programs and the applicable sections of the State Regulations
· Liaise with jurisdictions having authority in the US to obtain data on claims management history and noncompliance with safety legislation
· Support business unit operations efforts in complying with regulatory agencies and corporate policies
· Participate in joint OH&S committees as required and develop and implement programs directed at supporting internal responsibility in the management of workplace safety
· Conducting qualitative industrial hygiene surveys of sites within area of responsibility (Market Area) according to established expectations for US and communicating results of these surveys to drive continuous improvement of industrial hygiene program at the site level.
· Supporting operations customers in the implementation of control measures to address potential IH overexposure cases as well as findings from qualitative IH surveys
· Delivering or arranging for the delivery of training for operations personnel on topics related to industrial hygiene and occupational health in accordance with regulatory requirements and general hazard communication protocols.
Relationships with Other Jobs:
· Functions as a peer to site management, as a N-2 from PL/General Managers
· Work with and coach site management and plant/site employees on implementation of Health and Safety Management Systems, Processes and Training.
· Engaging, coaching and influencing the site and functional leaders with the health and safety activities and processes with a target of 70% of “face time” within his or her area of responsibility.
· Work with H&S Manager in determining Business Unit/Geographic priorities and developing policies/procedures
· Interface with peers in other Business Units/Geographies in the development of programs and systems.
· Assist area Human Resources on the safety and loss control aspects of the following HR-managed programs:
1. Worker Compensation Program
2. Return – to – Work (Light / Modified Duty) Program
3. Occupational Medical Evaluation Program
4. Disciplinary Program
· Assist Distribution personnel on the safety and loss control aspects of DOT compliance.
· Assure utilization of established systems by the sites to assist in minimizing accidents.
· Assure timely and effective follow up of Business Unit and site safety audits.
· Assure site compliance with Lafarge Group Health and Safety Policy/11 rules, NA processes and initiatives and Provincial/Federal regulations.
· Up-to-date, accurate and complete KPI tracking.
· Effective safety, health and loss control related support to site and Business Unit & Geographic management.
Post secondary diploma or certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
· 5-7 years in the construction industry
· Familiarity with Lafarge information systems
· Experience in training/facilitation (adult education)
· Use of Microsoft documents, information, data, presentation software (Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
· Timely and sound decision-making skills
Knowledge & Skills:
· Strong Leadership Skills
· Excellent organizational and planning skills
· Strong Influencing without Authority
· Innovative thinker- solutions focused
· Strong analytical skills, research, problem solving and decision making
Job-Specific Competency Profile (Lominger):
· Action oriented Managerial Courage
· Dealing with ambiguity Functional/Technical Skills
· Peer Relationships Political Savvy
· Problem Solving Priority Setting
Customer Focus Standing Alone