MSHA has announced on the 17 October 2017, a miner was fatally injured while operating a bulldozer on a downward slope. While pushing overburden to a rock bench below the top of the pit, he was ejected from the cab and run over by the left track. The machine continued to tram over the edge of the 58’ highwall.
- Always wear a seatbelt when operating mobile equipment.
- Never jump from moving mobile equipment.
- Ensure that persons are trained, including task-training, to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed.
- Block the dozer against motion by setting the parking brake and lowering the blade to the ground before dismounting equipment. Set the transmission lock lever to ensure the transmission is in neutral.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Maintain control of mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Maintain equipment braking systems in good repair and adjustment. Do not depend on hydraulic systems to hold mobile equipment stationary.