A water truck operator and passenger have been seriously injured when their truck overturned, according to a serious accident alert by the Mine Safety and Health Administration. The tank was three-quarters full of water at the time of the accident and both miners were wearing seat belts.
- Maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Post safe speed limits for the mine roads and remind mobile equipment operators to reduce speed when weather conditions change.
- Always make complete and thorough pre-operational equipment checks that include braking systems and seat belts before operating equipment.
- Equipment seatbelts should be provided and used at all times during operation. Monitor employees regularly to ensure seat belts are worn when operating mobile equipment
- Establish and maintain communications with all trucks and mobile equipment.
- Materials that make up road surfaces and road bases need to serve two functions: 1) provide adequate traction; and 2) provide support for the traffic without excessive sinking-in or rutting.