A contract maintenance mechanic has died after being crushed against an elevator platform when a car descended, says the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The MSHA says the victim died at the scene on 3 December.
- De-energise, lock out and tag out, and block machinery or equipment that can injure miners – before entering the area.
- Post warning signs or barricades to keep miners out of areas where health or safety hazards exist.
- Install an audible alarm to warn of impending equipment movement.
- Evaluate and correct possible hazards promptly before working.
- Train personnel in safely using handrails and fall protection equipment during maintenance and construction activities. Ensure their use.