A 46-year old contractor was fatally injured after falling through a narrow gap between two log washers, says the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). The victim landed on a cable tray approximately 12 feet below.
The victim was changing the drive belts on a log washer motor when his wrench slipped off of a blot he was tightening, causing the loss of balance.
- Always use fall protection equipment, safety belts and lines, when working at heights and near openings where there is a danger of falling.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and any hazards that may be present.
- Have properly designed handrails, guards, and covers securely in place at openings through which persons may fall.
- Train personnel in safe work procedures regarding the use of handrails and fall protection equipment during maintenance and construction activities and ensure their use.
- Conduct workplace examinations in order to identify and correct hazards prior to performing work.