A miner died when an unsecured 20’x8’x1″ steel plate standing on edge fell and struck him, says the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The MSHA says the steel plate was being used to cover the end of a feeder to allow an equipment operator to build an earthen ramp to the feeder.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work.
- Identify and control all hazards.
- Task train everyone on safe job procedures and to stay clear of suspended loads.
- Require all workers to stay out of the fall path of heavy objects/materials that have the potential of becoming off-balance while in a raised position.
- Monitor routinely to confirm safe work procedures are followed.
- Be aware of your environment. Factors such as wind, snow, and icy surfaces can affect the stability of an object.
When securing an object, identify the location of its center of gravity.