A miner was knocked unconscious when a chain used to thrust bearing failed and hit him on the head, according to a serious accident alert issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). The victim was injured while making repairs to a rotating screen plant and was found lying on the deck.
The MSHA has issued best practice guidelines following the incident.
- Select the proper rigging with the appropriate lifting capacity to perform the task/job.
- Consult and follow the manufacturer’s recommended safe work procedures for the maintenance task.
- Conduct inspection of tools and rigging to ensure all equipment is in a safe condition prior to use.
- Ensure miners are trained on the specific task they are performing and in proper rigging practices.
- All miners shall perform work from a safe position at the work areas.
- Verify persons are in a safe location before moving equipment and components.