A MNM serious accident alert has been iisued following a serious accident when a miner was adjusting the setting on jaw crusher.
The miner was adjusting the setting on jaw crusher when a mechanical failure occurred on the adjusting ram hydraulic hose.
The failure allowed the jaw adjusting mechanism to close on the employee hands in the adjusting shim area. The miner received crushing injuries to both hands.
- Ensure that blocking material is competent, substantial, and adequate to support and stabilize the load
- Always use the manufacturer’s safety device(s) or features for securing components against motion
- Devise safe methods to complete tasks involving large objects, massive weights, or where the release of stored energy is a possibility. Ensure that all stored energy is released or fully controlled before initiating repairs
- Have a hose inspection & test plan to insure unsafe hoses and/or worn or damaged couplings are removed from service
- Test all hose assemblies as required every six (6) months (or sooner) to insure the assembly is safe for continued use.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.