A customer truck driver was killed when he fell from, and was run over by, his vehicle while scanning into the operator’s check-in system, in a fatality alert issued by The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). The victim was found underneath the belly dump of the semi trailer while the truck was still in gear.
MSHA has issued guidelines for best practices following the incident.
- Implement check-in system technology that can be scanned remotely from inside the vehicle such as a RFID tag or indicator.
- Commercial and customer truck drivers should remain in their trucks while on mine property, unless a safe area for tarping and checking their loads has been designated.
- Operators should place their equipment in neutral and set the parking brakes before exiting the operator compartment.
- Rules establishing safe operating procedures should be posted.
- Ensure workers who operate heavy equipment are adequately informed, instructed, trained and supervised.