A miner was injured when his haul truck travelled over the edge of a stock pile dump point causing the vehicle to roll onto its top.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) says the driver was wearing a seat belt.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating self-propelled mobile equipment.
- Examine dumping locations for stability prior to dumping the first load and as ground conditions change during the work shift. Where ground conditions may fail to support the weight of the truck, dump loads a safe distance back from the edge.
- Provide training regarding dump-point hazards.
- Travel in a straight line when backing a truck toward a dump location.
- Maintain berms or similar impeding devices at dumping locations where there is a hazard of overtravel or overturning.
- Clearly mark dump locations with reflectors and/or markers.