The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has issued a serious accident alert for a miner who was injured while operating a scraper. The pan scraper stalled, travelled over a berm and rolled over a bench. The operator was wearing a seatbelt and was able to escape with a cut arm.
The MSHA has issued best practice guidelines following the incident:
• Always wear a seatbelt while operating mobile equipment.
• Inspect mobile equipment thoroughly before operation.
• If deficiencies exist or if they develop during use, promptly remove equipment.
from service and report the problems to management.
• Berms must be at least mid-axle height to the largest piece of equipment using a
• Maintain equipment braking systems in good repair and adjustment.