An operator received serious injuries to his hand and amputation of the middle finger when his gloved hand was pulled into the reciprocating feeder, in a serious accident alert issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration. The victim was cleaning up spillage near the dryer of the limestone plant.
- Do not work on or near an operating conveyor until it has been de-energised and the power has been locked out, tagged out and blocked against hazardous motion.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures.
- Examine work areas and identify and control all hazards before starting any work.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work procedures are followed.
- Ensure all guards are adequate and securely in place where exposed moving machine parts may be contacted by persons.