A 63-year old quarry manager was fatally injured after losing control of the haul truck he was driving, says the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The victim, who was not wearing a seat belt, was driving the truck down a steep grade and travelled through a berm and over a short drop-off.
- Always wear seat belts when operating mobile equipment.
- Maintain control and stay alert when operating mobile equipment.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks and correct any defects affecting safety in a timely manner prior to operating mobile equipment.
- Operate mobile equipment at speeds consistent with the conditions of roadways, tracks, grades, clearance, visibility, curves, and traffic.
- Ensure that berms are adequate for the vehicles present on site. Among other things, they should be constructed of appropriate materials, be of adequate height, and be built on firm ground.