The National, Sand, Stone & Gravel Association (NSSGA) and the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) have issues a new alert to help reduce incidents associated with power haulage. The MSHA-NSSGA Alliance confirmed in the document that 8% of all injuries at stone, gravel and sand operations were related to powered haulage, making it the fourth most-common type of accident in the aggregates industry.
- Inspect all equipment before use. If issues are identified, discontinue use and tag it.
- Training promotes safe operation and prevents injuries. Ensure all operators have adequate training on the equipment they are operating.
- Always wear your seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Always maintain control and avoid distraction when operating equipment.
- Ensure that haul truck operators remain in their trucks during loading process.
- Always follow a manufacturer’s service and maintenance schedule, especially for steering and breaking systems.