A plant operator shovelling material from around a crusher was struck on the head by a rock that fell from a surge bin deck – in a report by the Mine Safety and Health Administration. The rock split the victim’s hardhat, causing a serious head injury.
- Install adequate guarding in areas where miners work to protect them from the hazards of falling or flying material.
- Keep walkways clear. Remove all loose materials and other hazards before working.
- Eliminate or minimize material spillage from belts, bins and hoppers.
- Be mindful of falling material hazards and the risks from rock that can fly out from the screening plant.
- Wear required personal protective equipment.
- Restrict access to areas prone to falling or flying material
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures.
- Task train miners to recognize and eliminate all potential hazardous conditions and understand safe job procedures to eliminate all hazards before beginning work.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.