MSHA has issued a Serious Accident Alert?? following an accident.
A miner was attempting to remove torn conveyor belting from a stacker tail pulley with the belt shut down and locked out.
After being unable to remove the belting, the victim and another miner energized the belt and began jogging it to remove the belting when the victim’s arm became entangled.
The victim suffered serious injuries to his arm.
- Conduct thorough examination of workplaces prior to starting work.?• Properly block equipment against hazardous motion during maintenance
- Ensure that persons are trained, including task training, to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons
- Maintain effective communication with co-workers
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.