A loader operator was filling a bin when the loader’s bucket hit the upper body of a miner who entered the area unannounced, MSHA reports.
The miner was conscience and talking and was immediately transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- Always make sure equipment operators see you before entering any area where mobile equipment is operated
- If possible, make eye contact with the equipment operator
- When moving to a different area, inform the equipment operator before leaving the area
- Before moving mobile equipment, look in the direction of travel, use all mirrors, cameras, and installed proximity detection devices to ensure no one is in the intended path
- Ensure that all persons are clear before moving equipment
- Sound your horn to warn unseen persons that you are about to move and wait a few moments to give them time to get to a safe location
- Ensure that backup alarms on mobile equipment are maintained and operational.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.