MSHA has issued a Serious Accident Alert following an accident incolving a portable crusher.
The miner was operating a portable crusher when a large rock fell striking him on the left side of his head.
The miner was wearing a hard hat at the time.
The miner was taken to the hospital and released later that day.
The accident occurred in winter 2017.
MSHA has the following advise to help prevent such accidents.
- Be mindful of falling material hazards and the risks from rock that can fly out from the crusher
- Wear required personal protective equipment
- Install adequate guarding in areas where miners work to protect them from the hazards of falling or flying rock from the crusher
- Restrict access to areas prone to falling or flying material
- When performing maintenance, prevent unplanned and hazardous movement of equipment by using lockout/tagout procedures. Fall protection is required where there is danger of falling
- Train miners on hazards associated with portable crushing operations.
This alert can be posted on bulletin boards, used in safety talks, or given to miners and contractors as a hand out.