The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy (DMME) and Virginia Transportation and Construction Alliance (VTCA) have recognised mines for an exemplary safety record and reclaiming mined land.
In 2018, Virginia’s mines employed 2,930 production employees and 3,952 contract employees. Production employees worked 4,865,130 hours and contract employees worked 972,010 hours producing 64,845,434 tons. During 2018, 231 mineral mines in Virginia worked without having a lost time accident.
Phil Skorupa, DMME’s mineral mining director, says: “When we combine efforts with the mine operators and the VTCA, we instill a strong safety culture at each mining operation. These employees are committed to safety and they deserve recognition for completing a year accident free.”
The quarries that received awards include:
- 75,000 Employee Hours + ON Minerals (Chemstone) Company, Winchester Plant Quarry, Frederick County, 107,911 hours
- 50,000- 75,000 Employee Hours Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. Doswell Quarry, Hanover County, 63,274 hours
- 25,000 – 50,000 Employee hours Luck Stone Corporation Spotsylvania Plant Quarry, Spotsylvania County, 47,198 hours
- 0 – 25,000 Employee Hours BWI Abingdon, LLC., Abingdon Quarry, Washington County, 24,938 hours
The open put operations that received awards include:
- 30,000 Employee Hours + USC Saltville Brine, LLC. Saltville Salt Co., Washington County, 92,961 hours
- 10,000 – 30,000 Employee Hours Branscome, Inc. Hofmeyer Pit, Charles City County, 26,615 hours
- 5,000 – 10,000 Employee Hours Bardon, Inc. Rappahannock Farm, King George County, 9,867 hours
- 0 – 5,000 Employee Hours Adams Construction Company, Daniel Sand Plant, Halifax County, 4,816 hours
DMME also recognised 43 individuals who have worked in the mining industry for a minimum of 15 years up to 45 years without a lost time accident.
Receiving honours for reclamation are:
Overall winner and non-quarry winner
- Hoover Color Corporation, #1 Mine, Pulaski County.
Honourable mention non-quarry
- Hill Sand and Gravel, Inc. Hill # 2 Mine Quarry, Accomack County
- Simons Hauling Co. Inc. Grapevine Road Pit, Henrico County
- The Curtis Group, Southampton Pit, Southampton County
- Luck Stone Corporation, Green Quarry, Greene County
Honourable mention quarry
- Vulcan Construction Materials, LLC Speers Ferry Quarry, Scott County